* Information concerning affiliation/post/profile of the laureate and guests is current at the time he/she received the prize.
Award Ceremony Highlights: Honda Prize 2021
Mr. Hiroto Ishida, President of Honda Foundation / Photo of Mr. Soichiro Honda / Dr. Alim Louis Benabid / Mr. Kunio Nakajima, Vice President of Honda Foundation
This year’s laureate is Dr. Alim Louis Benabid, Professor Emeritus of Joseph Fourier University and Chairman of the Board of Clinatec, Edmond J. Safra Biomedical Research Center, for his contribution to pioneering research and practical application of deep brain stimulation (DBS) to the treatment of involuntary movement caused by progressive Parkinson’s disease.
Commemorative lecture by Dr. Benabid
Dr. Alim Louis Benabid
This is my pleasure to present mostly the results of what we have been doing for 30 years, the treatment of Parkinson’s disease, extendable to similar neurodegenerative diseases, and I will present the results of deep-brain stimulation that we discovered in the late ’80s, and more recently the introduction of infrared-light illumination, which we hope will be protective and might be a cure for Parkinson’s and may be extended to other neurodegenerative diseases.
Congratulatory Addresses by Guests of Honor and View of the Venue
- Mrs. Evelyne EtchebehereRepresentative, CEA Tech in Japan,Embassy of France
- Dr. Takaomi TairaProfessor, Director of Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery,Department of Neurosurgery, Tokyo Women’s Medical University
- Mr. Toshiaki MikoshibaChairman and Director, Honda Motor Co., Ltd.
- The online award ceremony was held at Imperial Hotel Tokyo