* Information concerning affiliation/post/profile of the laureate and guests is current at the time he/she received the prize.
Award Ceremony Highlights: Honda Prize 2017
Mr. Hiroto Ishida / President of Honda Foundation, Dr. Matsunami, Mrs. Matsunami, Mr. Tsutomu Honda / Adivisor of Honda Foundation
This year’s laureate is Dr. Hiroyuki Matsunami, Professor Emeritus, Kyoto University for his outstanding contributions to pioneering research on “silicon carbide (SiC) power devices” and its practical applications.
Movie of The Laureate
Commemorative Speech by the laureate:
The contents of the talk are shown here. First, I would like to talk about ICT innovation through the development of semiconductors. Let me explain the current situation. Next comes the effective use of electric energy. In this part, I will explain about the important role that power semiconductors play. And, also, from the viewpoint of energy conservation, I want to emphasize why now is the time that we should give our full attention to silicon carbide (SiC). I conducted basic research at Kyoto University, which became my turning point and led me to make an epoch-making presentation. I would speak about the basic research I conducted at university, in which I studied crystal growth by “step-controlled epitaxy,” and the devices I proposed such as an SBD (Schottky-barrier diode) and a MOSFET (metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistor) using this method.
For a research outcome to be actually used in society, it has to be put into practical use by business enterprises; however, they only make such efforts when that is promoted by a national project with a guideline showing “which direction to go.” I would like to explain how we have addressed this challenge, and at the end of this, I would like to talk about future prospects.
Congratulatory Addresses by Guests of Honor
- Dr. Kazuo KyumaExecutive Member Council for Science, Technology and Innovation, Cabinet Office
- Dr. Michiharu NakamuraCounselor to the President, Japan Science and Technology Agency
- Mr. Takanobu ItoDirector and Advisor, Honda Motor Co., Ltd.
- Mr. Yasushi FukunagaFirst Senior Vice President, NIDEC CORPORATION